From: WESH Orlando
Ocala Police Department Sgt. Michael Summer said Carron Washington, 20, fed Caelynn Washington bleach because he heard it could help with the baby’s congestion.
According to a police report, the child’s mother went into the child’s room after she heard her crying, and the child spit up a clear liquid that smelled like bleach. She called 911, and the child was taken to the hospital.
A hospital employee called police.
“You smell the baby bottle and it smells like complete bleach. And the parents aren’t giving us a good story about how it got in there,” the caller told a 911 dispatcher.
Police said Carron Washington broke down crying at the police station and admitted to putting bleach in the child’s bottle, saying he heard from a friend in school that it works as a medical cure. He said he mixed less than a cap-full of bleach with less than two ounces of formula.
“This would probably be the dumbest decision I ever made in my life, and I regret it 110 percent,” he told WESH 2 News.
Where might Washington have got the idea that bleach could treat congestion in infants?
Well it is a dangerous health myth propagated by that arch nemesis of Rhys Morgan Jim Humble. Humble promotes the benefits of drinking bleach, which he calls Miracle Mineral Solution, for all number of health complaints ranging form Chrohns to Congestion.
It isn’t surprising that eventually someone would stumble upon Humbles advice and it would so nearly lead to tragic consequences.