Witnesses reported to Radio New Zealand that the small fire in a field appeared to be caused by a meteorite.
However the Edgecumbe fire service later revealed it was just a rubbish fire.
The topic caused Whakatane to trend on twitter and the article gives the following examples of tweets about the incident:
- Sure, Whakatane, you may think it was a meteorite, but you watch for a previously-childless couple with a new baby. #TaneOfSteel
- Today its “harmless meteorite in Whakatane”. Tomorrow it’ll be tripod war machines http://bit.ly/N3s4JE #amilliontoonetheysaid
- IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO! IT’S A METEORITE! Oh, wait… its just a rubbish fire
- Fire service in Whakatane mistook a rubbish fire for a meteorite. How did they get it so wrong?
- Whaka yeah! Whakatane got hit with a meteorite…. wait it’s just a truck on fire …. because I Ki blasted the whaka.
- Does the fire service normally assume a bush fire is the result of a galactic event and then downgrade it to a rubbish fire? #whakatane