By Lee Christie
Following the advice of Internet rumor, Catherine Furey (38) of Manchester died from drinking vinegar in an attempt to terminate her pregnancy. Mrs. Fury was a mother of five and did not wish to have another child. Causing further heartache for the family, her sister-in-law Dawn Chadwick was charged with manslaughter for providing the vinegar bottle. The family said they do not blame her for Mrs. Furey’s death.
Natika H Halilfrom from the Family Planning Association commented:
“We know there are many myths and misinformation about abortion on the internet. […] It’s so important to use trusted sources to gain accurate information on how to access abortion services.” (Mirror, 22nd May)
The Food Standards Agency warned:
“Drinking vinegar, even in large quantities, is unlikely to have an effect as vinegar is a dilute solution, usually 5% acetic acid. […] However, when acetic acid is ingested in high concentrations it can be harmful as it is corrosive. We are aware of previous fatalities.” (Mirror, 22nd May)
Mr. Furey’s death has become a tragic anecdote of what can happen when women do not have easy access to safe abortion, and serves as a warning for others to be careful which information sources to trust with your health.